ATTENTION: General assignment and higher education reporters; weekend, photo and TV news assignment desks
- Computer Science - Jun 20 Seeing the human pulse
- Agronomy - Jun 19 Current global food production trajectory won't meet 2050 needs
- Microtechnics - Jun 19 First Class of Nanoengineering Graduates Ready to Solve Technology’s Most Challenging Problems
- Chemistry - Jun 19 Science as art: beautiful world under the microscope
- Law - Jun 19 Dispelling the myth of gay affluence
- Social Sciences - Jun 19 Humanities and Social Sciences Commission Issues Report; Penn's Gutmann and Jamieson Are Members
- Chemistry - Jun 19 Multiview 3-D photography made simple
- Physics - Jun 19 Cheap, color, holographic video
- Life Sciences - Jun 19 Scientists date prehistoric bacterial invasions still present in today’s cells
- Environmental Sciences - Jun 19 CCIS awarded LEED Silver
- Astronomy - Jun 19 FACULTY HONOR: Ostriker named White House Champion of Change
- Administration - Jun 19 Boundless campaign sets benchmark for philanthropy in Canada
Media Advisory: Google’s Eric Schmidt to speak at commencement this Saturday
WHAT: The University of California, Berkeley’s Commencement Convocation 2012, an annual event honoring all graduating seniors. More than 3,000 graduates in caps and gowns are expected to process across the stage at Edwards Track Stadium to "Pomp and Circumstance." The sold-out ceremony will include speeches, awards, and students, faculty and campus administrators in colorful regalia.
WHEN: This Saturday, May 12, 10 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
WHERE: Edwards Track Stadium on the southwest corner of campus. See campus map. The entrance for credentialed news media is on Frank Schlessinger Way, which intersects with Oxford Street near the campus’s West Gate.
WHO: This year’s keynote speaker is Google Executive Chairman Eric Schmidt, a software engineer, Internet pioneer and UC Berkeley’s 2012 Alumnus of the Year. Also delivering a speech will be Eric Olliff, this year’s top graduating senior. Olliff, a double major in Chinese language and literature and in conservation and resource studies, will receive the University Medal for his scholarship, public service and humanity. Click here for a profile about the University Medalist.
DETAILS: Credentialed news media wishing to cover commencement must R.S.V.P. by noon on Friday, May 11, to Gretchen Kell, director of Media Relations, at gkell [a] berkeley (p) edu or (510) 642-3136, or Roxanne Makasdjian, manager of broadcast , at roxannem [a] berkeley (p) edu or (510) 642-6051.
On Saturday, news media should bring credentials and check in at a table at the stadium entrance on Frank Schlessinger Way. There is no reserved parking for news media, except in the case of TV trucks, which can receive a reserved parking space on Frank Schlessinger Way by making prior arrangements with Media Relations.
Media wishing to cover individual department graduation ceremonies during the month of May should make prior arrangements with the respective department graduation coordinators and check with them for updates on possible speaker or schedule changes. Click here about Commencement and individual department ceremonies.
Last job offers
- Business - 20.6
Full, Assoc, or Asst. Professor in Accounting and Information Systems
- Business - 20.6
Full, Assoc, or Asst. Professor in Real Estate & Urban Land Economics
- Medicine - 20.6
Professor - Pathobiological Sciences Infectious Diseases
- Medicine - 19.6
Rehabilitation Medicine - Assistant Professor WOT (AA3472)
- Agronomy - 19.6
Campus Alberta Innovation Program (CAIP) Chair in Nutrition, Food and Health
- Social Sciences - 19.6
Visiting Assistant Professor - School of Social Work and Business Administration (F1300045)
- Law - 18.6
- Law - 18.6