The Center for Research Libraries (CRL) has certified Chronopolis, a large-scale data preservation network, as a "trustworthy digital repository" that meets accepted best practices in the management of digital repositories. Chronopolis is led by the UC San Diego Libraries and the San Diego Supercomputer Center (SDSC) at UC San Diego, with partners at the National Center for Atmospheric Research and the University of Maryland’s Institute for Advanced Computer Studies.
- Business - May 24 Zahn Prize Competition gives undergraduates the opportunity, mentoring to launch startups
- Business - May 24 Women donate less to charity than men in some contexts
- Life Sciences - May 24 Driving and hands- free talking lead to spike in errors
- Life Sciences - May 24 Two researchers named Shaw scientists
- Arts - May 24 Gold shovels dig into another transformative building at Stanford
- Administration - May 24 Gov. Dayton signs into law request by U of M to fund tuition freeze, enhance critical research
- Life Sciences - May 24 Copper on the Brain
- Business - May 24 UAlberta leaders to receive province’s highest honour
- Medicine - May 23 The art of holistic health care
- Literature - May 23 Stanford scholar sheds light on Greek immigrant’s rags-to- riches story
- Literature - May 23 Stanford Classics in Theater brings the mishaps and mania of Euripides’ The Cyclops to Hollywood
- Life Sciences - May 23 UCLA live- tweets surgery to implant brain pacemaker while patient strums guitar
Chronopolis Earns High Marks as "Trustworthy Digital Repository" in CRL TRAC Audit
The primary metrics used by CRL in its assessment are those included in the Trustworthy Repositories Audit and Certification (TRAC) checklist developed by a joint task force of the Research Libraries Group and the National Archives and Records Administration in 2003, to define criteria for evaluating digital repositories. The TRAC criteria--which include organizational infrastructure; digital object management; and technologies, technical infrastructure, and security--represent current best practices and thinking about the organizational and technological needs of trustworthy digital repositories.
"TRAC certification is the ’Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval’ in the digital preservation community," said Brian E. C. Schottlaender, Chronopolis Principal Investigator and UC San Diego’s Audrey Geisel University Librarian. "It conveys, formally, that Chronopolis is mission-ready. We are very pleased to join our colleagues at Portico and The HathiTrust in having received this trusted designation."
Chronopolis, which was launched in 2008 as one of the Library of Congress’ efforts to collect and preserve at-risk digital information, has the capacity to preserve hundreds of terabytes of digital data of any type or size, with minimal requirements of data providers. The project leverages high-speed networks, mass-scale storage capabilities, and the expertise of partners--the UC San Diego Libraries and SDSC, along with the National Center for Atmospheric Research and the University of Maryland’s Institute for Advanced Computer Studies--to provide a geographically distributed, heterogeneous, and highly redundant archive system.
The certification is based on CRL review, including extensive documentation gathered independently by its Certification Advisory Panel from open and third-party sources, as well as data and documentation provided by Chronopolis administrators. The review also included a site visit to SDSC by CRL audit personnel. The Certification Advisory Panel concluded that the practices followed and services offered by Chronopolis are generally sound, and appropriate to the content being archived and the general need of the designated Chronopolis community.
Chronopolis also serves as the data preservation repository for UC San Diego’s campus-wide Research Cyberinfrastructure (RCI) initiative, which provides researchers with the computing, network, and human infrastructure needed to store, manage, and share data.
To view the entire Certification Report on Chronopolis: http://www.crl.edu/sites/default/files/attachments/pages/Chron_Report_2012_final_0.pdf
UC San Diego’s RCI
Last job offers
- Medicine - 25.5
Radiology - Assistant, Assoicate or Full Professor WOT (AA3465)
- Medicine - 25.5
Pediatric Dentistry - Clinical Assistant Professor, salaried (NN0355)
- Medicine - 25.5
Pediatric Dentistry - Clinical Assistant Professor, Dental Pathway (AA3463)
- Pedagogy - 25.5
Asst Professor Management
- Agronomy - 24.5
Assistant Professor of Food Science
- Medicine - 23.5
Medical Oncology - Assistant, Associate, or Full Professor WOT (AA3464)
- Media Sciences - 23.5
Political Science - Assistant or Associate Professor (AA3462)
- Medicine - 22.5